Brian Brown Nebraska Realty Ad

Support the population-we™ Movement here...

Monday, October 31, 2011

pop-we Dinner Club Reviews Shucks Fish House Oyster Bar

169th Wright Plaza Location
Aw Shucks!! This month population-we™ Dinner Club member Michelle decided we should cast off at Shucks, which has two locations around Omaha: 16901 Wright Plaza and 1218 South 119th St.

Shucks is owned by Absolutely Fresh Seafood, so it is not only a restaurant but also a sea food market. We went to the 16901 Wright Plaza location. It is a small eatery but they sure do pack the people in. You notice when you walk in a long bar along the wall with a huge seafood display. Other fishing decor is also scattered throughout the restaurant. Since 1979, Absolutely Fresh Seafood Market has been trucking and flying in multiple shipments of fresh fish every day of the week.

Oyster platter
I ordered up their Louisiana gumbo to which I was disappointed. The gumbo was good but even for $4.25 it was extremely small...again tasted good but very small. I also ordered a crab cake, which was served with french fries. The breading on the crab cake is not over powering so you can taste the crab, it was well prepared and tasted great. In the past I have tried oysters and did not enjoy them at all. A few members talked me into giving them another try with a little Tabasco and lemon. I was skeptical but I have to say they were actually quite good.

After compiling the surveys from the other foodies the pop-we Dinner Club gives Shucks: 4.08 star average on a scale of 1-5.

Atmosphere/Decor – 3.8

Cleanliness – 4

Wait Staff – 4.4

Menu – 4.2

Food Presentation – 4.1

Food Portions – 4

Food Taste – 4.6

Cost (was the cost worth meal?) – 3.9

Noise Level – 3.5

Overall Experience – 4.3

Fellow population-we™ readers, if you’ve been to the Shucks leave us a comment and tell us what you thought?

Want to do this yourself? To review how to start your own dinner club, visit our January post about doing just that. Remember it is a template; tweak it to fit you and your friends’ tastes. pop-we Dinner Club: good food…good friends…good times.
Shucks Fish House and Oyster Bar on Urbanspoon
- population-we blog post by Brian Brown
© 2011 population-we, LLC 
If you enjoyed this post, then make sure to leave a comment or 'Like' it.

1 comment:

  1. Brian: Out of everyone in our dinner club; since; I can’t eat red meat I was the most excited to dine out at Shucks. The atmosphere and décor was terrific. Felt transported to a fisherperson's wharf. The fish was fresh and very tasty; however, I agree with Brian’s review for the price didn’t get what I paid for either. I ordered the most expensive dish out of our entire party -- Alaskan king crab legs -- and was disappointed by how many I received. My advice save yourself for Red Lobster or even the couple times a year Hooters crab legs special. Still my favorite in the Metro that serves up crab legs is the Waterfront Grill at Ameristar. So, Shucks was outdone by a steakhouse in my book.

    ReplyDelete